Pages

Wednesday 26 February 2014

Evaluation Question Two































How effective is the combination of your main task and your ancillary tasks?

The purpose of the production logs were quite simple. They were used to log what I had completed each week. Therefore serving a reflective purpose throughout the process of my coursework. It was the critical thread to me planning my media products. This is seen in my early footage when I decided to cast Gemma (my previous model) and attempted to create an 'artsy type' music video – a video similar to the nature of Florence Welch's – seen in videos such as "No light No Light", from her last album "Ceremonials" and "Cosmic Love". Where both videos are seen to be showcasing the unique talent that Florence and the machine has at incorporating inspirations such as Alice in Wonderland the biblical undertones, such as "light" being a simile for life. A theme that is somewhat concurrent in Florence's work. It was during the production logs that I was able to reflect on the quality of my footage and how successful it would be once I had collated and edited my footage into a music video. Having being able to reflect on this, I was unsure on how successful I was in being able to create a music video of that artistic nature. Therefore I was able to change the direction that my music video was going in. Therefore the production logs were crucial in being able to question how successful my music video was going to be and what I had to change in order for it to be successful amongst its target audience.

Have they served their purpose?

I think they have served their purpose in terms of me being able to reflect on whether my creations were successful or not. I also think that the purpose of the production logs showed the process it did to create my music video. I think that one benefit of being able to successfully log what you have completed shows progress in terms of being able to comment on the successes of what you have completed and how this will feed into your overall products.

How has my digi pak and poster linked in with the creation of my music video? How successful is it as a package?

Poster:

One aim for a digi pak and poster is that they should be linked to the music video. The demographic should be able to identify the iconography used in all three products. I feel that the iconography that I have designed is sufficiently concurrent throughout all three media products. I wanted to use natural settings – such as forest – as the backdrop in all three media products. I do think that I have presented in a slightly different way, yet I feel that I have not disrupted the overall house style of all three media products. In my poster, I feel that the picture presents a much darker persona of nature. It encapsulates the dark side of nature. Death is the after math of life. The way the branches peer into the focus of the picture acts as an intrusive reminder that death is 'looming over us'. I think this is effective because it follows the perception that other people who do not listen to indie / alternative music have of the genre. The genre could be misinterpreted as a dark, a rebellion against popular music. Whereas more often than not, it is a platform to host philosophical debates and educate their audience with unintimidating softer melodies. I think this sells the music video because it intrigues the audience into what the music video is going to look like. Creating intrigue, thus increasing the demand to see the video. Having a high number of views, creates a forum for discussion into what the symbol meant. One way of having success in this genre of music is creating a lot of discussion or 'buzz' amongst the target audience. This would be completely different to how popular artists would be deemed popular.


Music Video:

One aim for my music video is that it should be a flow and visual symbol for the two print products. I think that I have successfully translated both interpretations of my music video – from both my digi pak and my poster. It was important that the video captured both elements of life and death, in order for it to be a true reflection of nature. One way I have done this is the black and white shots that I have done and the out of focus shots that I have used in my music video. I have intended to use the out of focus shots to represent the light, utopia, fantasy representation of nature. The out of focus shots also highlight the bright natural lights that I used. The black and white shots were in focus and I used the black and white filter on Adobe Premiere Pro to contrast the previous representation of nature and present in a dark, dystopia, nightmare reality. I think the music video would be proved popular because it uses religious beliefs in an understated, symbolic manner

Digi Pak:

The digi pak in essence represented the other side of nature, life. When planning this, I was careful that I did not emphasise many of the ideas that I had done for my poster. I was also conscious that I should feature Monique (my model for my music video, who plays the protagonist in my music video). This positive approach is best shown through the images. I think this sells the music video because it showcases the wonder of nature and re iterates the cycle of life in a conceivable manner. It communicates the common fear that most people have, the fear of death.

Effectiveness:

It could be said that the combination of both my music video and my ancillary talks work as a package because I have been able to market the three as a package, yet because I have a given different each one its own persona. Managing to not change the house style completely, making them identifiable to my music video and the artist. Re iterating the uses and gratifications theory, the idea that the audience identify with a piece of media.

No comments:

Post a Comment