Pages

Wednesday 26 February 2014

Evaluation Question Three

What have you learned from your audience feedback?

Planning and how it was affected by audience feedback.
My target audience is ABC1 reformers aged 15-30. I decided to aim my music video because this is the target audience of the indie / alternative genre. To define what constitutes as a reformer, it is the idea that this psychographic believe that they can ‘reform’ society into having the same beliefs as people in this category of people. Therefore when I was making my product, I was mindful of the fact that my media products will be perceptually criticised. It is important to receive audience feedback, as it is the people who will consume the media products that are giving feedback. There are two forms of audience feedback that I could have used. These two forms of audience feedback are qualitative data and quantitative data. Qualitative data is asking people for their opinion and using opinions to better your work. Qualitative data is much more personal than quantitative because the person being interviewed is asked for a commentary of the conventions of the media that they have consumed. Whereas, quantitative data is asking people in big groups of people and asking them simple questions such as “what type of clothes would you see subjects of the music videos to be wearing?” I think that quantitative is effective when you measuring success in terms of sales. Seeing as this genre is the ‘rebellion’ of popular music – a complete disregard of the Hypodermic Needle Theory, which suggests that the audience has no perceived opinion of the media product and that the media are able to manipulate the message of the product.

Why is feedback critical and how my media products would be different without them?
One advantage of having feedback is that the audience are able to pick out characteristics of the product that are not conventional/ do not work. This was most evident when I filmed my initial footage with my initial footage. One piece of qualitative data that I received was in the form of a question and answer session, where the person who watched the video has said that the attempt to go for an extremely alternative video does not look like it has been done effectively. It was overdone in terms of costume – that there should only be one distinctive piece of clothing rather than the combination of the cape, eye patch / head bow and bright red dress. One disadvantage of having feedback from people who will consume the media products is that it could have possibly turned into a question of preference rather than quality in the sense that it could manipulated into what they would want – regardless of how much it fits the conventions of the indie / alternative genre.

Types of interviews that I conducted:
One type of interview that I relied heavily on was the question-and-answer type. This consisted of me showing however much footage that I had done and asked them to provide a commentary of: what went well; what did not go well and what could be improved. I think this was effective as I was asking members of that particular demographic to detonate and connetate what they saw in the music video, in the same context that I had analysed the “Drumming Song” by Florence and the machine. Therefore allowing me to improve on the elements that were not so popular amongst the public. Having also other people watch and critic your work allows you to pick up on elements that were not successful that I would have not picked out. It is important to know that before the process of creating my music video and ancillary tasks, I had not had a sufficient knowledge on the conventions of the indie / alternative genre. Therefore relying on audience feedback to educate me on the codes and conventions of the indie / alternative genre. An example of where I had my knowledge on the genre expanded was that most conceptual music videos of this genre provide a platform for philosophical debates.

Did I go against my audience feedback and why?
Overall, it was imperative that I followed the feedback given because it was these very people that would consume the media products that I had created. Improving the products so that it was sufficient enough to compete in the real world. I think that in an era where people are not buying CD’s, many of the sales are physical – including more original sales. Reinforcing the idea that this genre is a rebellion against popular music. I also feel that my work is strong enough to compete the genre because recent times has seen a resurgence to the genre’s rock and roll roots. Where my direction is much more of a bohemian-esque view. Therefore differentiating myself from its competitors such as Jake Bugg’s Shangri-La and the Artic Monkey’s “AM” reinforcing the ideas previously explained.

No comments:

Post a Comment